Tuesday, June 12, 2012

How we help modern slaves - Daily News | Lifestyle | IOL.co.za

Source: Daily News
June 5 2012 at 07:17am 


By Noor-Jehan Yoro Badat

.
‘I met many girls beaten, addicted and prostituted,’ says Melanie Hamman
I came across many stories of human trafficking while working
 around the world as a photographer. I was outraged at the
 way people selfishly gained off the misery of others. When 
I returned to South Africa in 2009, I had the opportunity
 to work with Benjamin Skinner, an author on human
 trafficking.
For two years I was out in the field, investigating. 
My contacts led me into a  world of sex trafficking. 
The victims were primarily female minors who were
 lured to the cities from townships or rural areas with 
the promises of work.
One night in Bloemfontein I went out onto the 
streets with outreach workers  from a local church.
Outside this nightclub I saw this young, 
beautiful girl standing on the corner.
 It was winter, but she only wore a thin jacket, 
skinny jeans and leather sandals.
For the full story, go to: http://www.iol.co.za/dailynews/lifestyle/

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment