Source: Institute for Human Rights and Business
The 2013 Top Ten List of Business and Human Rights Issues was published by the Institute for Human Rights and Business (IHRB) on International Human Rights Day, 10 December 2012.
For an elaboration of each of the ten issues listed below, go to:
Note: These ten issues are not ranked in order of importance.
1. Embedding respect for human rights across all business relationships
2. Expanding action to combat forced labour and human trafficking
3. Tackling challenges of dual-use internet-based technologies that may undermine privacy rights and freedom of expression
4. Advancing uptake of the UN Guiding Principles in key enabling sectors including finance, ICT and infrastructure
5. Leveraging government as an economic actor through public procurement policies that ensure respect for human rights
6. Renewing efforts to protect lives in the work-place
7. Mitigating the ‘resource curse’ by preventing negative human rights impacts of oil and gas exploration
8. Linking respect for human rights to calls for greater transparency in lobbying by businesses
9. Ensuring responsible investment in conflict-affected and 'high risk' areas
10. Addressing the impacts of land and water grabs linked to transport, fishing, security, mineral extraction and other sectors